Monday, December 7, 2020

Taking JLPT Post CCP Virus

 So yesterday, I took the JLPT for N1. With the test that was supposed to happen in July earlier this year being cancelled, the organisers seemed to have been able to prepare for another JLPT in a post CCP Virus period. Like the last few years, I decided to stay overnight at a hotel in Mito near the station. With the government's "Go To Travel" campaign still valid at this time, I was able to book at a reasonable hotel for incredibly cheap - less than 3000 yen for a night in a semi-double room. Though I did receive discount coupons to use for the "Go To Eat" campaign, I didn't use it.

Unlike the previous years where the test was held at a university, the test this year (at least for those in Ibaraki prefecture) was held in a high school - at least for those taking N1 and N2. I'm not entirely sure where N3 - N5 exams were held, as the high school didn't look like it could accommodate for all levels (unlike a University). In any case, the organisers tried to enforce social distancing and ventilation as much as possible. Every second classroom was being used for the tests, and inside the classrooms themselves, only every second desk was being used. In other words, a classroom that can normally accommodate for 35+ students was only being used by half that number. I definitely liked this approach, as I couldn't stand the crowded rooms of past years. I hope this is the way tests will continue from here on out. 

While there were no convenience stores nearby, there was a Kasumi supermarket within walking distance. As I got to the test site early, I decided to head over to Kasumi and get something to eat, as the test began at 12:30, and I wouldn't have a break for another 2 hours. I ended up settling on a chocolate cream sandwich and some coffee.|
During the break, the high school had ample vending machines around the place. I ended up going to the seemingly main gathering area of the high school, and happened to find a coffee vending machine. Unlike the usual vending machines you find around Japan, this one pours coffee in to a paper cup and dispenses it for you. It was also pretty cheap - around 100 yen for a cup. I settled for a hot chocolate for 90 yen. While the hot choc wasn't anything spectacular, for 90 yen, it got the job done of warming me up. 

As for getting there and back. Fortunately, it was only 1 stop away from the station by bus. As I decided to go early, the bus going to the test site wasn't as crowded. However, as it is the only bus that goes to the test site, getting back was another story. Just about everyone was lining up to get on the bus. Anticipating that the bus was going to be packed as always, and with this whole mess of the CCP virus, and the flu running around, I chose to walk back to the station. Even though it was about a 40 minute walk to get back, it was doable.  

So how did I think I went? I know I didn't even come close to passing this time. While I had a year to prepare, I didn't do as much prep as I would have liked - and I know that's my own fault. Despite being busy at my schools and having little time to study there, it's my own fault for not making time to study. Hopefully I will much better prepared for JLPT N1 next year in July - unless some other global disaster were to occur.

On another note, I noticed a lot of women at the test site taking selfies in front of the school. Why? Why would you even do that? It's just a high school after all. Eh, whatever.

No comments:

Post a Comment