Tuesday, December 15, 2020

An Empty Kyoto

 I just came across this video, highlighting the effect of the CCP virus on a city like Kyoto, which largely relies on visitors (both domestic and international).

I found it interesting that many of the older people do reminisce of a time when this quieter Kyoto was the norm, but in recent years it has become more lively due to the increase in visitors. I definitely noticed this when I went to Kyoto in 2013 for the first time, then went there to study in 2014 - 2015, there was a significant increase in visitors coming to Kyoto. 

As many of the people in the video have said, on the one hand, the absence of visitors certainly makes it easy to get around Kyoto, and it's possible to truly appreciate many of the attractions that the city has to offer. On the other hand, that very absence of visitors does make it difficult for many businesses to make a living, some even being forced to close down for good. 

 It also has been a little while since I was last in Kyoto (it's been at least over a year). While many of the friends I made no longer live in Kyoto, I would still want to go back and enjoy the sights, and even take a walk around Ryukoku University, just to see how much it has changed since my time there. I had been there at least once to attend my girlfriend's graduation ceremony. Finally, I would also want to go back and see the owner of the convenience store that is right across from my old dorm which has since been sold off. Despite the dorm being sold off, the owner has been kind enough to hold on to many of the dorm's photos for former students who lived there and want to reminisce. Hopefully I will get a chance to visit Kyoto again sooner, rather than later.


No comments:

Post a Comment