Wednesday, December 2, 2020

Free vaccines for residents?

 Japan enacts law to make coronavirus vaccines free to residents

Naturally, many foreigners living in Japan who aren't permanent residents (such as myself) will probably be worried if they will also be eligible for the free vaccine. Considering that we received the 100,000 yen handout earlier this year, it would make sense that we would also be eligible for the free vaccine, especially as we also contribute taxes and pay health insurance.

Also, as Japan is approaching its flu season, I decided to get a flu shot while there's still ample supply of it. My girlfriend and I decided go to a different clinic rather that the hospital this time, as this particular clinic allowed for walk-ins to get their flu shot for a fee (in our case, it was 4600 yen each). As we went last weekend, a lot of parents with their children were also coming to the clinic to get flu shots for the kids. Since these kids seemed to be under 5 years old, naturally a lot of screaming and crying accompanied their flu shots. Compared to my experiences of blood tests at the hospital, the flu shot was pretty painless, even with local anesthetic. It did hurt a few minutes after the flu shot, but it was a pretty smooth process. Of course, the doctor told us not to consume any alcohol for 24 hours, but he also mentioned about not thoroughly washing the area where the shot was administered, which I was never warned about until now. 

In any case, my gf and I are set for the flu season. I am curious how this whole coronavirus vaccine will turn out. While tempting to get it immediately, I can see the merits of waiting a few months to see if any unintended side effects spring up, considering the speed in which vaccines have been developed with such a short time period to allow for human trials.

No comments:

Post a Comment