Friday, May 15, 2020

The Abenomask: Mini review

While I have yet to receive mine, my girlfriend had already received her 2 free reusable cloth masks from the government (a.k.a the Abenomask) when she recently went to Tokyo for an appointment.



 As some may already be aware, there have been problems with these masks, including dirty masks being delivered. Originally, these free masks were in a response in to the shortage of masks available due to the CCP virus. Well, it seems that lately, face masks are slowly becoming available in some parts of Japan, including in the city that I am currently in. While stock isn't back to normal levels yet, it's certainly better than a few weeks ago. But anyway, back to these free government masks.

To sum it up: These masks suck.

Firstly, you only get two. If you happen to be living by yourself, or it's just yourself and your significant other living at home, this shouldn't be a problem (keyword being shouldn't). However, if you have a family of greater than two living in your household, be prepared to starting sharing those two masks.
Another problem - even if it's just yourself or only two people living together, these face masks are tiny. Even by Japanese standards, these are tiny. For me, they barely cover my mouth and nose.

Abenomask (left) vs. Standard face mask (right)

Abenomask (left) vs. Children's size face mask (right)

While the standard and children's face masks may appear smaller that the Abenomask, keep in mind that those masks are designed in such a way that they can be used by anyone regardless of the size of your face... a one size fits all, if you will. The Abenomask, unfortunately, seems to be designed for children in mind... and/or midgets. The only one redeeming factor is that they can be put in the wash and be reused, but there are far better masks out there that can do the same thing. My girlfriend says she can't stand the smell of the masks either, and while I didn't think the smell was that strong, I only wore it for 3 seconds before taking it off. I don't think I can picture myself wearing it for extended periods. Also, I have my own reusable cloth mask that I bought from Yamada Denki, and unlike the Abenomask, it fits across my face just fine (and my nose ain't small either).

These masks feel completely half-assed. While I have no intention of using them, their small size does make them ideal for small children if you have no masks on hand, and are unable to buy any from a shop, or online, and there's nobody to borrow a mask from. In other words, only use these as an absolute last resort. Just be sure to wash them first to get rid of the smell.

P.S. Just to show you how tiny these masks are, here's Prime Minister Abe wearing one:

No comments:

Post a Comment