Thursday, April 16, 2020

Working from home

With things starting to escalate in Japan over the CCP virus, and the number of infections in Ibaraki prefecture now over 100 people, it's reached a point now where we have received instructions from the city's BOE to work from home until May 7th, after Golden Week. My employer has guaranteed that we will be paid for working from home, on the condition that we submit either lesson plans/materials to prove that we have been working each day. Some of us ALTs have decided to pool together resources in to a group document, so it means that we aren't doubling up on lesson plans, and also gives an opportunity to share ideas/resources, especially for ALTs who may not have as much experience in either JHS or ES, or are newbie ALTs this year.

On one hand, it means that I'm not having to sit in the teacher's room pretending to look like I'm busy when I have finished my work for the day. On the other hand, I lose the opportunity to talk with some of the teachers, whether it be simple chit chat during lunch break, or a chance to coordinate lesson preparations. I had a chance to talk with one of my elementary school teachers about the first lessons for the 6th graders. Similarly, at one of my Junior High Schools, one of the English teachers asked me to help her in preparing materials, while another asked for my input on ideas for lessons, based on my experiences at Chikusei. Also, at that same JHS, a bunch of teachers decided to go play volleyball in the gym during lunch break, as they had pretty much finished their work for the day. There was also one student in attendance too, as the schools will remain open for students whose parents have to work during the day. In any case, it was pretty fun to just hang out with the teachers in a non-formal environment.

My girlfriend is still staying over for the moment, and even bought a bicycle that she can use to get around the city while I'm out. Considering that the nearest supermarket is about a 15 minute walk away, likewise with the train station, it was a good purchase. I am considering using the bicycle as well from time to time when she heads back to Tokyo - it would be a shame to let it just sit there and all that.

Anyway, that's all I have at the moment. Pretty much two weeks working from home until after Golden Week ends next month.

No comments:

Post a Comment