Monday, April 29, 2019

Joining Club Activities

Unlike the last two years at my Junior High School, I decided to participate and join in club activities this year. The reason I didn't get involved until now, has been because it's usually run after my scheduled hours are over. However, I decided to join the Art club specifically for two reasons:

  1. To keep practicing my drawing on a regular basis. Ever since spring break, I've been admittedly slacking off on that part.
  2. To try new things. Since I only draw things that I want to draw, joining the Art club has been a good chance to draw things I normally wouldn't draw.
The art club is admittedly small, and the majority of members are girls, and only one boy who is also the only 3rd Grader in the club.

Anyway, from what I understand Art club is usually broken down in to 3 sections (or 2.5, depending how you look at it)
  • Quick sketching - A student poses in front of the club room, and everyone has to draw that student in 5 minutes. It is good practice for me to speed up on drawing the basic shapes before filling the details, as I usually only finish the basic frame by the time the 5 minutes are up. Depending on the pose the student does, I may be able to finish in time.
  • Sketch your own hand - Self explanatory. I think it's a similar time limit. Fortunately, since it's only a hand, I can usually finish in time
  • Drawing/Painting a poster - From what I understood, there were three themes we could choose. Two of them were relating to the upcoming local elections (I think), and feelings/emotions. I can't remember what the third theme was. In any case, I picked the feelings/emotions theme. At this point, all the 2nd and 3rd grade students (and myself) have finished the posters, so we're helping the 1st graders their posters.
Since joining the art club, I have been practicing both my pencil work and my digital work (I've also been bringing my tablet to school). I have to admit, I'm having a lot of fun in this club. The students are also supposed to be submitting sketches to use for the chorus contest that will be happening later this year. While the teacher in charge of the club, and the students don't mind me submitting something, I feel like it's kind of a dick move to do so, considering that the students are supposed to be the ones submitting the work. I don't mind drawing something, and I have put something together, but I feel like I shouldn't submit it. I spoke to my girlfriend about this, and she also agrees with this.

Unfortunately, I think interactive forum practice will be starting next month after Golden Week, so I don't think I'll be able to join in on club activities until after summer break. I'll see how it goes, as I'm definitely having fun, and the students enjoy having me there.

No comments:

Post a Comment