Thursday, June 13, 2019

Company School Visit

Today, I got a visit from my employer for the standard school visit. Usually what happens is that my employer gives the school a heads up on when they're coming to visit, which gets conveyed to the head teacher, and eventually I get told about it. What's different in this case, is that none of that apparently happened. So imagine my (and my 2nd grade English teacher's) surprise when we found out a few minutes before 2nd Grade English class began that someone from the company would be coming in to watch. To make the matter even more worrying is that the 2nd graders have been surprisingly troublesome this year, and I also found out that this isn't isolated to just English - other teachers have been expressing the same level of frustration that the English teacher and myself have been experiencing. But, that's a story for another time.

Fortunately, this particular class that the company staff came to was probably the best behaved out of all the other 2nd Grade classes. So with a little bit of last minute discussion and planning with the English teacher, the usual rolling with punches, and minus the obligatory scolding I've been giving 2nd graders this year,  it went pretty smoothly. The staff spoke to me after class and was pretty pleased all round, commenting that I was moving around the classroom as opposed to just standing around in one spot, as well as getting involved with some activities students were doing to make up for numbers, to checking new vocab with the class that easy to follow and understand. Funnily enough, there wasn't any real criticisms for my performance, considering I was only made aware a few minutes beforehand about the company visit.

Next week, I'll be having someone else from the company coming to visit my Elementary school. Unlike what happened at my junior high school today, I've been given adequate warning about this (and another ALT shared the schedule sheet for the visits a few weeks back, and I noticed then, that there was nothing about any visit to my JHS).

So quick version - surprise visit by the company today, and they were happy with my work.

No comments:

Post a Comment