Thursday, June 28, 2018

My own Classroom - Finally!

After nearly two months at my elementary school, I finally have my own English classroom.While it's nothing glamorous, it's functional, and at the moment, that's all I really want.
At my previous elementary school, there was already a dedicated English classroom set up - tables, tatami-style mats, as the students were going to be sitting on them, and a big flat screen TV, with a PC connected to it - no touch screen functionality for it, but I did not care, as it was leaps and bounds ahead of what I had available to me when I was in Kamisu.

I was beginning to think that school was not going to bother with an English room, due to there being no spare rooms available, but last week, a new digital board arrived. The head teacher asked me to sit in on the tutorial session that was being given by a visitor (not sure if he was from the Board of Education, or from the company that made the digital board), all in Japanese of course, but using it seemed pretty straight forward. On top of that, a laptop was provided (apparently on loan), that contained all the software I needed to use in conjunction with the students' textbooks, something I haven't been able to do until now, due to the installation discs being in DVD format, and a previous attempt to install the software on the school's laptops only yielded 50% completion in 6 hours. Furthermore, because my employer was coming to visit, they turned an open space area in to a makeshift English classroom, which I confirmed is now where I will be teaching to the students, and not a one-off thing as I was initially concerned it would be. As I said earlier, it's not glamorous or pretty, but it does the job.
Funnily enough, as a result of this, I find I'm more to get more work done. Trying to do my work in the teacher's room felt kind of stuffy, but with my own classroom and nobody else around, I feel like I can be left alone with my thoughts and ideas - not to mention I can actually use the laptop to check through each chapter on the software/textbook and find out on my own how certain activities are supposed to work. Hell, I can even show videos at last, which I did with my 6th grade class yesterday.

So yeah, I'm feeling pretty happy this week with my own classroom at last. It will take some time to pretty it up and make it feel less like a cobbled together room, and more in to a proper classroom, but for the moment, I have my own classroom.

Fuck. Yeah.

No comments:

Post a Comment