Saturday, April 6, 2024

The end of Gundam Factory Yokohama

I know I am late for this news, but for those of you who didn't know, Gundam Factory Yokohama closed at the end of last month. What started in December 2020 and was originally supposed to conclude in March 2022, was extended twice, with the first extension planned until March 2023 (due to a certain Communist Pneumonia), which was then extended again to March 2024. In case you also didn't know, Gundam Factory Yokohama contained a moving 1:1 scale RX-78F00 Gundam, the first of its kind, and quite a sight to see. 

I was able to go to last year as a birthday present for myself and while I did return from my business trip in Hyogo before the end of last month, I really didn't feel the need to go again - partly because I had already seen the Gundam - which was certainly one of those once in a lifetime experiences - and most of the products at the Gundam base store there were already sold out.
However, as it was the end of something significant for Gundam fans, a video of the official closing ceremony was live streamed and uploaded to the official Gundam Channel.


However, the video of this closing ceremony will only remain archived until April 14th. I decided to go ahead and download the video for myself. 
I am hoping that the moving Gundam will return at some point. While there is still the Unicorn Gundam statue at the Gundam Base in Odaiba, the RX-93ff Nu Gundam statue in Fukuoka, and the Freedom Gundam (laughs) in Shanghai, China, it would be interesting to see what Gundam they will develop next based on what they learned in the construction of the RX-78F00 Gundam. While I would like to see the God Gundam built, I think that may be ways off yet. If they did the Zaku on the other hand, that would be quite the sight to behold, as there has not been a single statue built for the Zaku, which is just as iconic as the RX-78-2 Gundam, with its rounded form, and intimidating pink mono-eye. 

As a Gundam fan, I can only wait and see what will come next. 

No comments:

Post a Comment