Monday, March 8, 2021

English and Japanese Songs

Since high school, I was more inclined to listen to Jpop and anime songs, which was also around the same time I started getting in to anime. While I listened to English songs (especially Eiffel 65, Daft Punk and Beastie Boys), my song tastes leaned mostly to Jpop. This trend continued on for years, and I even started getting into Vocaloid, and really enjoying anything with Luka Megurine - but not Miku Hatsune (I still despise her). 

However, since moving to Japan, I have noticed in recent years a shift back to English songs. I think I started noticing this about two years ago where I started getting back in to Beastie Boys, and a desire to listen to AC/DC (aka Accadacca) for some reason. Again, I still listen to Japanese music. Been a fan of Onmyoza since 2013, and have collected their albums since their 7th release, 魔王戴天 (まおうたいてん)/ Evil Lord Takes Heaven), got in to Wagakki Band (you can check my review of their Best Collection+ album on my site, and even Man with a Mission. I think since Daft Punk recently announced their break up, I ended up purchasing some more of their albums (I already own their second album Discovery). I also decided to look in to some other bands that I listened to years ago, but dropped out of. I decided to take another look at Little Birdy. I own their second album, Hollywood which I got back in 2006, but never looked in to their first album, Big Big Love which had their first song I heard, Beautiful to Me. I had a listen to the tracks of Big Big Love, and wondered why I never got it in the first place. Katy Steele has a very unique and beautiful singing voice. Last I heard, the band broke up and Katy Steele moved to America for her solo career.

 I guess the thing I'm trying to figure out is what has caused this sudden change in course in my musical tastes? Is it because I'm getting older and my tastes are changing? Or is it possibly a case of the grass being greener on the other side? I feel like it may be a combination of both of those factors, as being in Japan and surrounded by the Japanese language constantly, I guess I'm looking for some sort of escape for something that isn't Japanese. Which probably also explains why when I was back home I was listening to more Japanese songs: being surrounded by the English language, I wanted to listen to something different, something that wasn't English. Even if I didn't understand the language fully at the time, I enjoyed it because it was different. I guess currently it could be a feeling of nostalgia, considering that the English albums I have here in Japan aren't that recent (Daft Punk's Random Access Memories is about 7 years old). 

Talking about music, I feel like maybe I should work on some more reviews for my site. Expect an update some time in May for certain.

No comments:

Post a Comment