Wednesday, July 3, 2024

New Japanese currency (kinda)

 Starting today, Japan has introduced their new 1000, 5000 and 10,000 yen notes. This is the first time in twenty years since the last change in design. The fact that Japan has even moved forward with new designs is an indication that Japan is in no rush to go fully cashless any time soon. If anything, they seem to be happy with giving people as many options as possible when it comes to purchases - some opting to pay with their phones/cards, and others still happy to continue paying cash, myself included.

Though I am perfectly content to pay with cash, I'm not completely unprepared. I have a separate bank account that I put a little bit of money aside and have a debit card for in case of emergencies or for times when I need to pay for something in the evening, and I'm not able to withdraw money - or if I need to pay for an overdue bill which I cannot pay at the convenience store.

I'm looking forward to withdrawing money the next time round to see if I can get my hands on one of the new notes.

No comments:

Post a Comment