Sunday, December 10, 2023

Christmas 2023

 As it is getting closer to Christmas, I am reminded of the oddity of celebrating it in Japan.

I have mentioned in the past that Christmas is not observed as a public holiday in Japan, which makes sense given that the country mostly practices Buddhism in some form or another, with Christians being largely in the minority. Despite this, everywhere you go in Japan, businesses are cashing in on the Christmas season. Restaurants and convenience stores are playing Christmas songs - right now, as I am sitting in an Excelsior cafe, a cover of Little Drummer Boy is playing. I can't help feeling bad for the staff who have to work at these places and listen to nothing but Christmas songs for hours at a time.

As Christmas falls on a Monday this year, and as I earlier mentioned that it is not a public holiday in Japan, this will be the 2nd or 3rd time that I will be working on Christmas メンドクセーーー! ヽ(`Д´#)ノ

That aside though, I feel so out of it. It has been over 4 years since I went home for a visit, and I do miss that kind of togetherness with the family you get from celebrating Christmas. I do have my gf here to celebrate Christmas with - even if we do have to celebrate on the 24th because of work - but I do miss the celebrations of back home. Though now, things have changed since I was last home, with the big difference being Dad is now gone, and I am worried about what Mum will do for Christmas as it just her at home. I keep in regular contact with her on a weekly basis, and I plan to call mum on Christmas too, even if it is going to be later in the evening.

I suspect that it this could be down to homesickness, which is weird as I have not felt homesick since first coming to Japan for work back in 2016. Though I think talking to my friend who I haven't spoken with in some time probably had me thinking of home. 

No comments:

Post a Comment