Wednesday, December 7, 2022

I'll be the Roundabout...


After 10 years, we've reached the end of the main universe of JoJo.

Recently, I finished watching JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stone Ocean. Just hearing Roundabout again was a real nostalgia trip, especially since that song hadn't been played since the end of Part 2 - Battle Tendency. Yeah, the song itself is from the 70s, but it has also become largely synonymous with JoJo, and has been the inspiration of its own meme back in the day. 

While the song itself is largely concerned about the actual roundabouts found on roads, I feel it's kind of fitting that Roundabout was used for the end of the main universe of JoJo. Pucci successfully resets the universe and eliminated everyone that could stand in his way - save for Emporio, before he was ultimately defeated by Emporio - through the combined efforts of the Jolyne and crew, before the universe reset again as a result of the death of Pucci and his stand, Made in Heaven. 
In the newly created universe, Emporio comes across the original universe equivalents of Jolyne and the crew, coming full circle - a roundabout, if you will. 

It also had me thinking back to when I first started watching JoJo's Bizarre Adventure back in early 2017 (or late 2016, I can't remember). A friend was a big fan of JoJo, and I was curious about it, but when I saw how many series of JoJo there were, I wasn't sure where to begin. My friend suggested starting with Phantom Blood, and when I first saw and heard that intro (JoJo ~ Sono chi no Sadame / ジョジョ~その血の運命), I was hooked. By 2018, I was finally finished with Part 5 - Vento Aureo. However, I personally I wasn't a fan of Part 6 - Stone Ocean's approach of releasing the episodes in batches. While Japan had been doing marketing for JoJo recently, there just didn't seem to be much excitement for it, though I have heard that Stone Ocean will be broadcast on Japanese television at a later point - this is due to it being released on Netflix first. 

With Stone Ocean completed, I can only imagine people will be waiting in anticipation for Steel Ball Run. Furthermore, I'm also curious if there will be any more JoJo series, with the completion of JoJolion last year. UPDATE: Apparently Araki confirmed JoJolands earlier this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment