Saturday, August 13, 2022

Phantom of the Opera on the organ at Suntory Hall

To celebrate our anniversary, my girlfriend and I went to a special event in Roppongi called Suntory Hall Organ Day Zanmai. It's an all day event which is broken up in to smaller events. All of them revolved around the organ that is situated at Suntory Hall. We went later in the day to attend the Phantom of the Opera performance played on the organ, with Mari Ohki (大木麻理) playing on the organ, and Kenji Urai (浦井健治) narrating the story, who apparently played the role of antagonist N Daguva Zeba in Kamen Rider Kuuga back in the 2000s.

The only photo we could take before the performance began (写真は禁止だった)

Personally, I have never watched Phantom of the Opera in any of its forms, whether it be film or stage play. However when I was a little boy, my dad liked listening to the songs from the Phantom of the Opera - this was back when the Phantom was played by Michael Crawford, so I'm one of those people who thinks that all those that came after Mr. Crawford to play the part of the Phantom are mere pretenders to the throne... actually it's more I just grew up listening to the songs being sung by Michael Crawford than anything else, and I don't have any qualms about others playing the Phantom, especially with Michael Crawford now in his eighties. In any case, it was a joy to listen to the songs being played on the organ and trying to recognize all songs. Of the 9 songs Ms Ohki performed, I actually recognised most of them, and could hear Michael Crawford's singing voice in my head. 

Afterwards, we went for dinner not far from the concert hall for a course meal at a restaurant called Trattoria Italia. Turns out there was more food than we thought in the course when I made the booking the day before - it included several antipasti, a pasta dish, a steak, and finished off with desert and coffee. Naturally, we were pretty full after that. Compared to the photos that I had seen of the restaurant, it actually looks a lot nicer in person. I'm not sure if it was because the photos were taken in during the day, but the presentation and atmosphere was much nicer in the evening. 

So that was all that we did for the evening. We went out for morning tea/lunch the next day, but we were still full from the night before.


No comments:

Post a Comment