Thursday, February 10, 2022

More online classes! (and other stuff)

Due to the increasing number of cases of the Xi(aka Omicron) variant of the CCP virus across the country, including Ibaraki Prefecture, for the past two weeks elementary schools have been doing classes online. However, since there has not been a significant drop in cases at the moment (for the past few days, there have have been over 1000 cases in Ibaraki prefecture alone), online classes have been extended for one more week. I have mixed feelings about this.


I have no problem with this going on for my 3rd and 4th grade classes, as I can make progress even if they haven't taken the textbooks home with them (and I have the digital materials anyway), and I can make activities that involve everyone in some capacity. My 5th and 6th grade classes on the other hand... it is getting a little difficult without them being at school to really make progress. However, I am trying to take advantage of the school's online learning system to create some activities/exercises for them to practice what they (are supposed to) have studied. I'm preparing a listening activity which is similar in style to the listening tests that I have prepared, but I'm not preparing this as a test, meaning I'm allowing them to check the resources that I also intend to upload before the lesson.

In other news, I did submit my official resignation to my employer finally. I was bracing myself for some sort of grilling/haggling to get me to stay on board, but surprisingly it never came. I told them how I felt, but was careful not to tell them that I left because of money (even though that is part of the reason I am leaving). The truth was, I've been working as an ALT for over 5 years, and I have just gotten tired of it. Matters that came up back home just before school started last year really hit me hard, and the amount of difficult students I've had to deal with this year have really sucked the drive to continue any further. They extended an olive branch offering me some other positions elsewhere, and while I didn't openly refuse them, I did say I would consider it and let them know. I was expecting some sort of roasting about me quitting the HR training they were giving me, but given that I quit after two weeks, the damage and fallout was minimised on that front, not to mention that the position was never guaranteed in the first place. Besides, they didn't really assign me any important work aside from screening a few sessions with some ALT candidates and assessing their demo lessons. 

Finally, I have an appointment lined up to inspect a potential apartment on the 26th. I am a little bit concerned, as racism is rampant when it comes to renting an apartment in Japan. Up until now, I have been using Leopalace, a rental company that is known having no problems renting out apartments for foreigners, but this specific apartment is not a Leopalace apartment. The company that I have been dealing with asked me some standard questions, althought the questions have the potential to be grounds for refusing to lease an apartment to me. They asked my nationality; how long I lived in Japan; if I had an emergency contact in Japan; if I was a student or company employee, and why I wanted to move. Worst case scenario, I settle for Leopalace apartment that is maybe one or two stops away from my ideal spot. Hopefully, this won't be the case. 

No comments:

Post a Comment