Sunday, July 18, 2021

Gunpla shortage?

 

Prior to watching this video, I didn't think there was much amiss regarding Gunpla (GUNdam PLAstic model kits for those not familiar). Since there aren't many places in my current city to purchase - as far as I know, only my local Yamada Denki sells Gunpla - I simply dismissed the apparent absence of Gundam kits as the store being slack in stocking new Gunpla. However, after watching the above video, it seems to be a nationwide issue. The video does a better job of explaining the causes of this shortage - mostly the Wuhan virus being the main reason for the increase in gunpla purchases. With more people staying at home, more people are looking to take up new hobbies to keep themselves occupied, and gunpla is one of those hobbies that is pretty accessible to all, especially with the types of kits being produced these days. If I knew of this issue earlier, I would have gone out and purchased the HG 00 Sky Moebius sooner. Sadly, I held off on it, and even the reissues earlier this year did not include Moebius in the line up - plenty of other Re:RISE kits were included though, including the Core Gundams and the armor parts and weapons. 

As a result, it means I need to keep a sharp eye on when Gundam kits will be released and hopefully get my hands on them before they sell out or appear on online stores at inflated prices. I'm hoping to be able to purchase the RG Hi Nu Gundam that's scheduled to be released in September. I know my Yamada Denki will be stocking this, and I was lucky enough to be able to get my hands on the RG Evangelion Mark.06 last month by keeping a close eye on my local Yamada Denki. However, I think the RG Hi Nu Gundam will probably be more sought after over the Mark.06, so I should brace myself for disappointment also just in case.

No comments:

Post a Comment