Saturday, June 3, 2017

Getting a Haircut - again!

You may remember from a previous post of my first experience of getting my hair cut in Japan that did not involve me cutting my own hair.  Well, since moving in to Chikusei, I had been holding off on getting my haircut, at least until I could find a 1000 yen style barber shop. Fortunately, I was able to find two that are somewhat near my apartment - one of them being right next to a supermarket, I opted for that one.

Compared to when I got my haircut in Kamisu, getting my haircut at this particular barbershop was a different experience. In Kamisu, you would write your name down on a booking list, and wait your turn. However, at this particular barbershop, you actually purchase a ticket first from a little vending-style machine. Interestingly enough, it cost only 1000 yen - meaning no 8% tax (or an extra 80 yen in this case) attached to the cost! Anyway, after purchasing your ticket, you take a seat, but you don't just take any random seat. The seats are arranged similar in style to the queue of chairs you will some times find outside of restaurants when it's really busy. One difference I found was there was a sign on one of the chairs to indicate that it's for the next person to receive their haircut. Fortunately, I was the only person waiting at the time, so I went straight for that head chair. Not too long after, the hairdresser called me up, and I handed over my ticket. Like before, I asked for short, and I got short. Also of interest was the signs make mention that they will try their best to get your hair cut in 10 minutes, and in 10 minutes I was already out of there. I'm happy with it, and the students at my schools seem to like my haircut, mentioning that it suits me, compared to my Ray Martin style of haircut that occurs when I postpone my haircut for too long:


Just to clear any confusion, I'm talking about the Australian TV presenter Ray Martin, and not the Canadian politician Ray Martin.

In any case, I intend to go back to the same barbershop when my hair starts getting long again - usually in 4-5 weeks, sometimes up to 8 weeks if  I had my previous hair cut really short.

No comments:

Post a Comment